Saturday, August 29, 2009

the little things

It's the little things that made me happy today.  This morning, it was indoor plumbing and coffee.  I'd gotten up late, with smoke induced grogginess, covered in a thin, grungy coat of sweat, oil and ash.  Sixteen hours later, the elements have again beaten back the curative effects of the shower, and I remain grateful for the plumbing.  Showers will bookend this day.
In between, there was a visit to my mom, a little shopping for her, a little shopping for me, a couple of actions around my job search, a meeting with fellowship after at Home, and more fellowship after that at Masa.  My dogs have given up hanging out with me as I write, opting instead for the coolness of the night air.  They're smart and wise and happy for no reason other than the pack is all present and accounted for.  Ah, the little things.  And now, a shower.
~ LAF

2 comments:

  1. oh, i don't miss the smoke hanging like shrouds over the city. i truly don't. but i love your approach to living with it. coffee, plumbing, showers, and the pack.

    how easy, yeah...and temporarily satisfying it could be to bitch and moan. to lash about and curse the ash falling from the sky. to be pissed off and red-eyed, and yeah...i know it well.

    or to go about your life. showing up, and showing up some more. saying yes. moving in and moving about. and checking in with yourself every now and again, to make sure nothing is actually on fire. and going on some more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I'm getting confused. Who's LAF? Lor Fogel? There seem to be two entries for Donna? I wish it were more clear who's writing each entry.

    Anyway, nice entry. Crisp writing, feels serene and open and connecting the bread crumbs along the path.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete